Palafox Brings Positivity to her Class

David Flores

Mrs. Palafox begins her first year at LBHS.

Daisy Martinez, Staff Reporter

Los Banos High School has received many new teachers for the 2016-2017 school year. Heidi Palafox is a new teacher, teaching 11th grade English. “My first week was very welcoming and the staff team is very friendly,” Palafox said.

Heidi Palafox was born and raised in Pennsylvania. She also attended college there before moving to California. She is currently living in Hilmar with her twins (1 boy and 1 girl) and her daughter. Palafox played soccer, indoor and outdoor, and is currently training for a 5k. Her free time is spent with her family and sometimes ghost hunting.

Palafox’s teaching experience has brought different perspectives of how her teaching skills should be and how students behave. “Having 19 years of experience with grade levels helps me when teaching with a new staff.”  Palafox has a very organized system she goes by in her classroom. Her teaching philosophy includes what she calls the “5 P’s.” They are 1. Be Prompt, 2.Be Prepared, 3.Be Polite, 4.Be Patient, 5.Be Productive.

Palafox says,”I try to help those who have no motivation and those who question if what they are doing is necessary.” In class she’s an all-time observing teacher, meaning she observes and assess more than what is actually on paper. Technology has helped her assignments foster interest and has also given alternative assignments.

She has a very positive outlook in life. Palafox believes that anything can be done if you make an effort. She says that she has been a student once, so she knows how it is and she understands the negativity students have in the classroom. Her classroom looks bright, colorful,and enjoyable to be in which she hopes will encourage students to remain positive through the year.