ELAC Meetings Begin

David Flores, Staff Reporter

The English Learner Advisory Committee (ELAC) headed by Mr.Bencomo, LBHS vice-principal, held a meeting in August.

The ELAC committee will be responsible for advising the principal and staff on programs and services for English Language Learners (ELL) and the School Site Council on the development of the Single Plan for Student Achievement (SPSA).

This year they will discuss the needs of the English Language Learners (ELL) parents to promote school  involvement, as well as other things to help students be successful.

The following officers were elected for the committee:  President, Teresita Ochoa, Vice President, Maria Alvarado, Secretary, Ruth Esquivel, DELAC Representative, Mr.Ortiz,  and Sub DELAC Representative, Melani Acosta.

The ELAC will assist the school in the development of many areas such as the school’s needs assessment, the school’s annual language census, and ways to help parents understand the importance of regular school attendance.

ELAC will meet the last Tuesday of the month from 5-6 in the library.

Each California public school, grades kindergarten through 12, with 21 or more English learners must form an ELAC. Children benefit from ELAC committees because parents’ concerns are voiced to the School Site Council.  This results in an impact on decisions at both the school level and the district level.

ELLs face enormous challenges. They must master a new language and are expected to learn the school subjects contents and meet demanding grade-level standards across the curriculum.

Some must also overcome significant hurdles in adapting to schools and communities that are different from their countries of origin.