Academic Block Awards Night A Success

Quentin Barcellos

Academic pins received at the awards night

Quentin Barcellos, Staff Reporter

The Academic Block Awards Night was held on Thursday, April 25 in the multi purpose room. During the event, awards were given to sophomores, juniors, and seniors who met a certain GPA requirement.

Students who got a 3.6 GPA or above qualified to receive a block and pin that could be put on their letterman jacket. Everyone received a pin, but those who already had a block from previous years were only given a pin. The blocks have a unique design that are well liked by the students who receive them.

Before announcing winners, choir sang a few songs at the beginning of the awards night. After they were done and walked off the stage, it was time for the awards to be given out. Ms. Aguilar was the one to announce the names of the students who were given a block and/or pin. The largest group of students who qualified were seniors with sophomores and then juniors followed afterwards.

Many students were absent from the event due to other school activities.

After the announcements it came time for the raffle that is done every year. All the students who qualified for a block and/or pin were randomly picked for gift cards to a variety of places. They had to be present to get it though. There were more than 20 people who were awarded gift cards.

The most important raffle was just between seniors. Two of them were to get a 250 dollar scholarship. Laura Albornoz and Arianna Badillo were the two winners of that raffle.

Arianna Badillo could not believe that she won one of the 250 dollar scholarships. She said, “I didn’t even think it was a possibility for me to get the scholarship, but I’m so happy that it happened.”

Remember, freshman, sophomores, and juniors, if you want a chance to get the 250 dollar scholarship make sure to get and maintain that 3.6 GPA.