America is Breaking Apart Over Gun Rights and Gun Control

Leonardo Ramos, Staff Reporter

On September 10, 2019, The House Judiciary Committee voted to send several gun control bills to the House floor in order to stop firearms from falling into the wrong hands. The Senate will vote upon these bills once received.

The Committee meeting known as a mark up will vote on gun control bills sent to the House floor. We are eight and a half months in the year of 2019 and there has been a number of mass shootings. The Democrats urged the senate for an emergency meeting to vote on the bill in hopes that the bill will prevent future public or school shootings. One of the bills purpose is to provide a universal background check on the next fire arms buyer.

Senate Majority Leader, Mitch McConnell, denied the Democratic emergency meeting request. According to CBS News, Mitch McConnell’s reason to denying the Democratic emergency meeting request was due to him waiting for President Trump’s signal to begin the voting of the bills. Mitch McConnell will only support and allow the vote to begin if Mr. Trump supports the bills.

The American citizens have a right to bear fire arms in order to protect themselves. If the second amendment was eventually removed from the constitution, then who will protect us and our families in a worse case scenario? Mike Tate, a security guard on campus, stated, “Fire arms should not be banned from the United States because firearms are a lot of the peoples safety and doing so would make criminals the only ones with firearms.”

Within the second amendment, it says, “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.”

If the second amendment were to be removed then who would protect us? If Americans think that the law enforcement will protect them, then they are wrong. The law enforcement’s job is to protect us, but they are not obligated to do so.

On February 14, 2018, there was a school shooting at Stoneman Douglas High School in Florida, when the incident occurred there was a sheriff on campus and fled the scene. The sheriff was later sued for leaving when the attack was happening, but the judge revoked it because he was not obligated to stay and defend the students.

So, if law enforcement is not obligated to protect citizens, would Americans want their right to bear arms taken away?