Lulac Puts On Hispanic Heritage Festival

Ashley Osip

DECA club sells ice cream during the festival.

Ashley Osip, Staff Reporter

On October 16, the LULAC Club or the League of United Latin American Citizens, organized a free event on campus called,  the  Hispanic Heritage Festival. The event was open to students and the community.

Mr. Flores, a teacher at LBHS and adviser of LULAC said they put on the festival to celebrate the end of Hispanic Heritage month which was in September. Mr. Flores also said he wanted to have a positive impact on the school which was why the club put on the fun night for the community. The money raised at the festival is reinvested for future Lulac events the club will put on.

Other clubs took part in the festival.  The Art club, DECA, and First Priority had booths for fundraising and advertising their clubs.

DECA is a marketing club that prepares students to become responsible and experienced leaders. Ms. Austin, a teacher at LBHS and adviser of DECA had a few of her members help sell ice cream sundaes for $2. The money they raised at the festival will help them go to the annual DECA competition this year.

The Art club had a booth for face painting. They charged $1 for a painting on the cheek, $2 for a painting on half of the face, and $4 for a full face paint.

First priority, a Christian based club on campus had a booth as well. Felicity Marquez was handing out free candy and advertising the club. She was also encouraging and welcoming students to join the club.

At the festival, there was live music and dancing. Tacos, elotes, churros were a few of the many different kinds of food sold.  Music played,  people danced, and the LULAC Club entertained the crowd with a dance of their own at the end of the event.