Author, Robert Renteria Inspires Sophomores

Daisy Martinez, Staff Reporter

authorPat Martinez
author2 author3 author5 author6 author7 author8 author10

Au

Author, Robert Renteria came to Los Banos High School and gave an inspiring speech to the Sophomore classes on October 3, 2016.  The Sophomore English classes spent the beginning of the school year reading his book,  From the Barrio to the Board Room. 

Mrs. Latta first heard of this book and author during summer school.  After reading the book herself, she felt students would benefit from the author’s message.  The book was only given to the Sophomore classes because it fit more with them and what they are learning this year. “This book really inspired me when I first read it, and I wanted something different to bring motivation to the students, ” says Mrs. Latta.

Renteria came into the multipurpose room very upbeat and passionate for his Latino culture.  In his speech, he motivated those with no motivation by sharing his own life experiences.

He didn’t have a great childhood life, therefore, he tries to inspire, encourage, and motivate students that anything is possible.”The key word today is believe so you can survive and just truly believe in yourself,” says Renteria.

According to Renteria, there is no limit on high a person can believe and dream. Anybody can be whatever they want. He said his motivational quote he tells himself all the time since he was a kid is something his mom told him,”Mijo, if you can see it, you can be it.”

In today’s world, people need an education to get their future going. “Spread your wings and fly high like the angels,” Renteria says.  He continued saying, “If you ever need help ask, don’t think nobody cares; you’re never alone. People care.”

Whether students are going through best or worst times, they should always remain strong. “NEVER, NEVER let someone tell you, you can’t do it,” says Renteria. “You can be anybody you want.”

Living in the ghetto and trying to make life out of his situation wasn’t working out for him. He was just involved in bad things and these circumstances just wasn’t letting him be who he wanted to. Renteria told the students that if something wasn’t working out and they weren’t able to go on and do what they wanted to do, the choice was to move for a change. This advice is from experience. “Moving and joining the army was my best choice and has led to me success.”

Renteria encouraged the sophomores to always believe and make sacrifices. There will be times when you will get knocked down but don’t give up because everything is possible. The day you grow up and find yourself doing what you always dreamed of, you will feel the feeling of success.

At the end of his speech, Renteria signed his autograph for students who wanted their books signed.

A few students who read the book and attended the assembly felt that the book was very inspiring and the author was touching. They all have a goal to keep their grades up and graduate. The students learned to never give up and to keep trying.