A Balance Act Between School and Sports

Can Student Athletes Do Both?

Mikayla Akers, Staff reporter

Trying to keep your grades on track while playing sports can be very challenging for a student athletes, but you always need to remember that school comes first.

The number one thing is to not fall behind in your classes. Little excuses such as “I got home late from my game” or “I was too tired” can end up costing you a lot if you continue to do it, especially if you are in more advanced classes. Although some teachers can be lenient on assignments, in the future, you will come across others that won’t accept your excuses.

Being a student athlete is very tiring, I would know, but you have to always find a way to fit everything in your schedule. A great thing you can do to help yourself out is to plan ahead. As an athlete, you know when your games and practices are, so get your assignments before, if you can.

You should always take a break when you need it. Don’t try to do more than you can handle. Having the right amount of sleep is a very big factor when being a student athlete. Don’t do extra activities that you don’t have time for. Getting enough sleep can lower your stress levels.

Another great resource to help you can be your classmates. You can ask them what you missed in a class, or maybe your class took notes and you can copy them down from a friend so that you can get all the information you missed. I am a student athlete myself so I can relate. It is a very big struggle, but always remember to have fun!