How Do Students Balance Work, School, And A Sport?

Julian Delgadillo, Staff Reporter

Many students play sports during their high school years. Some compete in just one sport, while others compete in three or even up to four sports during the year for different seasons.  And many of these students are employed also. So finding the balance between school, sports, and work can be difficult.

Roughly about 30% of students are employed one portion of their school year, according to research done by Walden University. Students can balance school, work, and the sport they choose to play, but with what drawbacks? Some drawbacks include increased stress and anxiety.

Senior Antonio Cuevas Jr. stated, ¨I think stress in a teen can be avoided by not procrastinating when it comes to school assignments and school stuff in general. Learning means to prioritize things  for example, first school, second my workplace, and last, my practice. I think in this way because at the end of the day school is the best way to gain knowledge and achieve your endeavoring goals.¨

Cuevas said his normal day looks hectic, but works for him. ¨For me the key to having a productive and efficient day is to: wake up early, have a good breakfast and then hit a workout before school. Then shower and log into school as well as completing my homework during school hours. Then after, clock into work at McDonald´s and finish my hours I was scheduled for. Lastly practice later at night.¨

Here are a few tips to help keep balance in your busy life.  From the article, “9 Tips for Balancing School and Sports,” author Sierra Soleimani says, to utilize your resources, get and stay motivated, plan your time accordingly, use your weekend time wisely, keep procrastination at a minimum, use travel travel time to study, dont fall back, make time to relax and recover.