Making Magic in Room 11

Meet the Drama Club

Arianna Ramirez, Staff Reporter

Theater is all about teamwork, which is exemplified in Los Banos High School’s Drama department. With a mixture of old-pros and new cast members, the Drama club eagerly works toward their second production, opening this fall.

The Bottom of the Lake, the first play of the year, debuts on November 1st. Auditions open on September 28th; however, if the auditionee is not present at club meetings, they cannot be guaranteed lead roles.

Club and class member, Gabrielle Stokes, recalls the Drama Department as a place, “to have those who are pretty shy and quiet to be more confident in themselves and to come out of their shell.”

This is also the first year that drama has had a class period taught by new director, Ms. Shelly Weathers. The class focuses on the technique, writing, and literature aspects of theater, while the club is a place to come together and put on the show.

Now, is there an advantage of being in the class over only attending the club? Stokes comments, “Probably, since the students in the class get deeper into the drama and gain more experience.”

Behind the scenes, the club members work together to create props and design costumes. The Drama Department has additionally collaborated with the LBHS art club in the past on set design as well as props, and plans to continue their partnership.

The students involved in drama are all very passionate about what they do. Some are brand new to the process, and some members seem to have been born on the stage. None of that matters here. What matters is becoming a unit and producing something magical.

Stokes adds, “Tigers can get involved by coming down to our shows and supporting their drama club, because without them, there would be no us.”

Drama club meets in room 11 every Monday at lunch.